Municipal District 1857-1863, Borough 1863-1870, Town 1872-1921
One hundred and eighty three landholders and householders of Ballaarat East petitioned the government to proclaim Ballaarat East [sic] as a municipal district according to the Government Gazette on 21 January 1857. On the 28 April 1857 the Municipal District of Ballarat East [sic] was proclaimed.
The municipal district commenced at the north-eastern angle of the municipal district of Ballaarat; thence by a line bearing east, and by the River Yarrowee eastward two miles and forty chains; thence by a line bearing south two miles and forty chains; thence by a line bearing west three miles and ten chains, more or less, to the River Yarrowee aforesaid; and thence northwards by that river and by the eastern boundary of the municipal district of Ballaarat to the commencing point.
Ballarat East is mentioned in the Victorian Places database. 
Names associated with Ballarat East
George Clendinning; Martha Clendinning;Lancelot Costello; Sarah Goddard; Margaret Guthrie; Dennis Kinnane; George Morgan; Susannah Morgan; Mary Ann Newman; Richard Polkinghorne; Daniel Sweeney
- ↑ Dorothy Wickham, Beyond the Wall:Ballarat Female Refuge: A Case Study in Moral Authority, MPhil, Australian Catholic University, 2003, Appendix 1, pp. 140-143
- ↑ https://www.victorianplaces.com.au/ballarat-east