Goldfields Involvement, 1853-1854
Signed the 1853 Bendigo Goldfields Petition. Agitation of the Victorian goldfields started with the Forest Creek Monster Meeting in 1851, but what became known as the Red Ribbon Movement was centred around the Bendigo goldfields in 1853. The Anti-Gold License Association was formed at Bendigo in June 1853, led by George Thomson, Dr D.G. Jones and 'Captain' Edward Browne. The association focused its attention on the 30 shillings monthly licence fee miners were required to pay to the government. They drew up a petition outlining digger grievances and called for a reduced licence fee, improved law and order, the right to vote and the right to buy land. The petition was signed by diggers at Bendigo, Ballarat, Castlemaine, McIvor (Heathcote), Mount Alexander (Harcourt) and other diggings. The 13 metre long petition was presented to Lieutenant-Governor Charles La Trobe in Melbourne on the 01 August 1853, but their call for a reduction in monthly licence fees and land reform for diggers was rejected. The diggers dissatisfaction erupted into the Red Ribbon Rebellion where agitators wore red ribbons on their hats symbolising their defiance of the law and prohibitive licence fees.
Post 1854 Experiences
- DEATH OF MR. B. QUICK.
- Another very old and respected pioneer, in the person of Mr Benedict Quick, passed away at 9 o'clock on Wednesday night at his residence, Millar Street. Mr Quick had reached the great age of 97 years, About five weeks ago he was unfortunate enough to fall and break his left leg between the knee and the ankle, and this injury no doubt hastened his end. He passed away very peacefully. Mr Quick was born on the 2nd of August, 1820, at St. Ives, Cornwall. In 1849 he sailed for Australia and landed at Adelaide. Two years later he returned to the old country and married. In 1853 he came to Victoria and in turn tried his fortunes an the Ballarat, Forest Creek, and Fryers Creek goldfields. He did well at Forest Creek and sent home for four mares and his brother John. As indicating that he had struck a rich patch it may be mentioned that out of one oil drum of dirt £600 worth of gold was obtained. Later he went to Daisy Hill rush, in the Maryborough district. In 1859 he came to Dayles-ford and had resided here ever since. He went in for carpentering and contracting work and built many bridges and State schools, and erected a large number of mining machinery plants, being at different times associated with the late Mr Geo. Clayfield, the late Mr David Bryan, and the late Mr R. Tripp. He invested largely in local mines, but was not always favored with success. He was a marvellously "healthy man, having occasion only twice to seek medical aid during his long life. He came of a family remarkable for longevity, his father having reached 84 years of age. His wife predeceased him by 22 years, but a family of four daughters and a son survive. The son is Mr W.J. Quick, the well-know hairdresser and tobacconist, of Vincent Street, and the daughters are Mrs Woods, whose late husband was proprietor of the "Colac Herald," Mrs Hinton of Sydney, Mrs John Wignall, whose late husband was on the railways, and Miss Bessie Quick, of Daylesford, who had tended her father for the last 21 years and devotedly nursed him in his last illness.
- The funeral took place this morning. Services at the grave and house were conducted by the Rev. T. Collins, and Mr F. Versy superintended the mortuary arrangements. The coffin-bearers were Messrs J. Quick, and W. McCallum (relatives of deceased), J. Larkins and J. Bateman.
- David Advocate, 25 May 1917.
If you can assist with information on this person, or a related image, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
To CITE this page click Cite This Page on the link to the left of this page.